This seminar takes a look at the emergence and growth of the art form--collage. We will explore the historical moment and place it came from, and the work of the artists who chose to use it. The series of lectures will explore many different artists from many different countries, spanning the twentieth century. We will trace different themes, which are conceptually distinct yet form a holistic and rational survey. Designed for an interactive experience using lectures, visuals, demonstrations ,and optional projects.
• Overview of the historical evolution of its use as an expressive, experimental, and educational medium.
• Its influence on creative movements of the 20th century through its material innovation and psychological provocation.
• The development of color theory through the materials used in collage (colored paper, board, printed matter, found objects, paints, inks, mixed media)
• The spirit of the process within other mediums (painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture)
• Methods of working with collage and the constructive diagrammatic sensibility it engenders.